KIKUUBE DISTRICT LOCAL GOVERNMENT
GRIEVANCE HANDLING MECHANISM & PROCEDURES
According to Sector Budget guidelines, Local Governments are supposed to develop Procedures for recording, investigating and responding to grievances. Grievances arising out of implementation of all investments will follow the normal grievances redress mechanism in Government as outlined below:
The purpose of the grievance redress mechanism is to:
- Provide affected people with avenues for making a complaint or resolving any dispute
- that may arise during implementation of government funded projects using the sector development grant or other grant(s)
- Ensure that appropriate and mutually acceptable corrective actions are identified and implemented to address complaints;
- Verify that complainants are satisfied with outcomes for corrective actions;
- Avoid the need to resort to judicial (legal court) proceedings unless it is warranted.
There are several types of grievances (highlighted in the table below), and several stakeholders who may be the source of grievance – these may include:
- Members of the beneficiary community for the project/investment; their families;
- Neighbours or those affected in any way by the intervention (Project Affected
- Employees of the contractors or suppliers.
- Members of the surrounding community.
- Other people.
Avenues for different types of Grievances
Wherever possible, the first port of call for Grievances should be at the CAO /Town Clerk level. There are other avenues available to those with grievance and these include;
- Project Management team/user department
- Local leaders
- Uganda Child Helpline
- Uganda Budget Hotline
- IGG Hotline.
Therefore, Kikuube District Local Government encourages you to contact us if you have a complaint or concern regarding the level of service delivery or you have been directly or indirectly affected by any government project in the district. We shall provide you with a form to fill within five working days after any incident or problem has occurred. Kikuube district will contact you as soon as possible. We assure you full cooperation from the management to resolve any issues.
The objective of the grievance redress mechanism is to provide a means of dealing promptly with any grievances that may arise in a fair and consistent manner.
Grievances are often the result of a breakdown in communications and are often resolved by the relevant parties taking time out to discuss the concerns they have and to try to resolve them informally before invoking the grievance procedure. It may be helpful to ask a colleague to assist with this process (or to take notes).
- ALL COMMUNITY MEMBERS WILL HAVE ACCESS TO THE GRIEVANCE MECHANISM AT NO COST.
- AL GRIEVANCES, FACTUAL OR PERCEIVED WILL BE REGISTERED IN THE GRIEVANCE REGISTER.
- ALL GRIEVANCES WILL BE DEALT WITH PROMPTLY AT ALL STAGES OF THE PROCEDURE.
- THE AGGREIVED WILL BE PROVIDED WITH A FORM TO FILL ABOUT THE GRIEVANCE HE OOR SHE WANTS TO BE ADDRESSED.
- A FULL INVESTIGATION WILL BE CARRIED OUT TO ESTABLISH THE FACTS AND TO TRY TO RESOLVE THE GRIEVANCE.
- THE PERSON BRINGING THE GRIEVANCE WILL BE KEPT INFORMED OF PROGRESS AT ALL STAGES OF THE PROCEDURE AND GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO RESPOND BEFORE ANY DECISIONS/ACTIONS ARE TAKEN.
- NOTES WILL BE TAKEN OF ALL MEETINGS.
- THERE WILL BE A RIGHT OF APPEAL AGAINST ANY FORMAL DECISION AND THE APPEAL CHAIR WILL BE SELECTED ON THEIR IMPARTIALITY.
How to raise a formal grievance
- THE CITIZEN OR CITIZENS NEED TO SET OUT IN WRITING THE DETAILS OF THE GRIEVANCE.
- A MEETING WILL BE ARRANGED AT ONCE WITH THE PERSON BRINGING THE GRIEVANCE TO ALLOW THEM TO EXPLAIN THEIR GRIEVANCE SO THAT THERE ARE NO MISUNDERSTANDINGS, AND HOW THEY THINK IT SHOULD BE RESOLVED.
- AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE ISSUES WILL THEN TAKE PLACE AND THE RESULTS OF THE INVESTIGATION COMMUNICATED TO THE EMPLOYEE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IN WRITING SETTING OUT THE ACTION THAT IT IS INTENDED WILL TAKE PLACE TO RESOLVE THE MATTER.
- THE EMPLOYEE WILL BE GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO DISCUSS THE RESULTS OF THE INVESTIGATION WITH THE INVESTIGATOR BEFORE ANY FORMAL ACTION OR DECISION IS TAKEN
· IF THE CITIZEN(S) STILL FEELS THAT THEIR GRIEVANCE HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED TO THEIR SATISFACTION THEY MAY APPEAL AGAINST THE DECISION.
- THIS MUST BE DONE IN WRITING SETTING OUT THE GROUNDS OF THEIR APPEAL WITHIN 5 WORKING DAYS OF RECEIVING THE DECISION LETTER.
- THE APPEAL WILL BE HEARD AS SOON AS POSSIBLE THEREAFTER, AND THE TIME, DATE AND NAME OF THE APPEAL CHAIR NOTIFIED TO THE EMPLOYEE IN ADVANCE.
- THE OUTCOME OF THE APPEAL WILL BE NOTIFIED TO THE EMPLOYEE IN WRITING WITHIN 5 WORKING DAYS OF THE APPEAL MEETING TAKING PLACE.THE DECISION OF THE APPEAL CHAIR WILL BE FINAL.
For more information contact;
Mugisha Moses Ndagano Faridah
Committee Chairperson SecretaryTel: 0772880899